Friday, July 9, 2010

Give me a K! Give me a Y! …



You all know that feeling, the helpless one? Where you know something is going on with your kid, but you can’t *really* help? I hate that feeling. A few months ago, I had it big time when Fancy fell down some stairs and ended up landing on her head on a concrete floor. The goose-egg that developed was one for the record books and she is *still* sporting some lovely raccoon eyes from the fall.




Dude has had lots of nosebleeds for basically as long as I can remember. For a while, they were primarily in his sleep and didn’t bother him much. Last summer they were getting more frequent and so back we went to the ENT to see what we could do. They gave a us a nice little protocol to follow to prevent them from happening so much. And what do you know? It worked! Guess that fancy med school education paid off.

Then one day a few months back, I get a call from Dude’s {most AWESOME} teacher. She says he has been bleeding for like 10 minutes or so already, and it’s a pretty big one. He doesn’t want to go to the nurse, so she (who is not good with bodily fluids, but does love my child) deals with it. But wants me to know. Eventually I decide I must go, so I grab a neighbor to stay with Pebbles (who is napping) and fly to school, which is thankfully 3 minutes away. It had stopped by the time I arrived, thankfully, but I was so bummed to know it had happened. That feeling of helplessness? Alive & well.

And we’ve had several since. Bad ones. I’ll spare you the gory details, but crime scenes probably look better at times. I pride myself on being calm, on controlling the scene, and stopping them quickly. Got some napkins, maybe some ice? I’m golden! {Fancy got one at Disney World last year. Right on Main Street USA, while we were getting our pictures taken. The photographer was so worried she called the Disney paramedics and they arrived {with a stretcher!!} to find a no longer bleeding child. I didn’t even get any ice that day, thankyouverymuch, but we did get a clean shirt of our choosing thanks to some wonderful Cast Members}

But these scare even me. And Dude can read me like a book, and then he starts getting nervous too, and it has all the makings of a good spin out of control. But, I’m the Mom, with a capital M, and I suck it up & put a smile on my face & tell him it will be ok. As I silently say a little prayer. I want to fix it. Now. Please.

Anyway, my awesome blog goddess pal Minky had a funny little K-Y story in her blog the other day, and I chuckled as I read it since moments before I had gotten off the phone with The Hubs after Dude’s latest ENT appointment {aren’t you proud of me? I didn’t even insist *I* be the one to take him. I let The Hubs go. And didn’t berate him after when he didn’t ask all the questions I would have!} … and our new protocol includes, you guessed it, K-Y jelly. Rubbed on the inside of his nose nightly.

Apparently, it’s good for sticking bows on babies’ heads, too. Who knew?

2 comments:

  1. I hope this new routine works for him. Good for you being so calm! Even with the things we've been through with Alex, blood from the occasional mishap just freaks me out. I guess it just hits some Mommy chord deep within us. Wishing you an uneventful summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, aren't we all astonished to know the many uses of KY? I vote they build a new ad campaign around baby bows an bloody nose protection. I would prefer it to the ones they have running now!

    ReplyDelete